Sunday, August 26, 2012

Questions to Ask BEFORE Surgery

(Sorry I haven't posted in a while - I am starting back to work [school] and getting ready requires a bunch of time! I will try to be better over the next few months.)

As I've said, I failed to ask any questions before my surgery. Not sure what I was thinking!

Here's a list of a few questions I wish I would've known the answers to before surgery:

What limitations will I have immediately after surgery? 
Examples: You can't sleep on the side of the abutment; You can't lift more than 10 pounds for a few weeks; You have to wear a cap and a piece of gauze on it for a week or so - You change the gauze everyday, or I did, to keep it dry - it's unnoticeable under hair - check out this website for more info on what it looks like; You can't shower (get it wet) the first couple days - honestly, I got SO SICK of washing my hair under the sink (so did my hubby) and I started showering after 4 days - I would very quickly dry it off with a hair dryer (I did a lot of research and made the choice myself against my doctor's orders.)


What long-term limitations will I have? 
Examples: You have to clean it almost everyday for the rest of your life - no big deal - but I never thought about it before (just a toothbrush in the shower); It makes wearing sunglasses more "interesting" - I had to cut one side of plastic ones so that they don't touch the hearing aid when I wear them but still rest comfortably and the metal ones I had to bend down - I'd say this is especially important if you wear glasses; It is still weird (but not uncomfortable) to sleep on my right side. I've actually gotten pretty used to it - it took about 6 weeks.


How will I have to clean it? How much time does it take? 
They may say that they'll go over this after the surgery, but I still would've liked to know.


How many times will I have to meet with you and the audiologist after the surgery?
Mine was twice with the doctor (once because I have some soft tissue that hasn't healed correctly, but apparently it will take awhile, so I'm good.) And twice with Mike, my audiologist, appointments a month apart.


Can I talk to anyone who already has it? 
I created this blog because I didn't know anyone else. Maybe they do and could put you in touch with them?

I will continue to edit this post as I think of more!





No comments:

Post a Comment