Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Michigan Ear Institute - 1st Experience

After those six weeks of researching and more researching, talking to my Mom, husband, and trying to find SOMEONE who had the BAHA (never did), I decided that I was going to go ahead with the surgery IF I was a good candidate. Man, waiting six weeks to find out if I was a good candidate - having this opportunity  within reach and not being able to act on it, was horrendous! Just a.w.f.u.l.

Once I was in the exam room, they checked my ear, spoke a little about my past, and, knowing that my inner ear was intact, we went through a variety of options... AKA, they suggested, and I shot them down. 

As you read on, please remember that this is my own opinion and I'm NOT a doctor. I'm also not knocking the decision you have made in your life or if you are a parent, the life of a child. This is simply what best suits my life.

For example, they wanted to build me an eardrum. I don't need that. Also, from what I understand my facial muscles might be cut into - yea, not something I want to deal with for the rest of my life if something goes wrong. 

They wanted to build me a outer ear - which wouldn't give me hearing, just reconstruction of the external ear.  I've gone through a lot of crap for how my ear looks, but quite frankly, I am used to it and even proud of it, and am most definitely a strong woman because of it. It doesn't bother me and I'm fine without it. 

They told me about an external hearing aid that would sit on top of my ear and reroute the sound waves to my other ear around my neck by a wire (?). Not even sure I'm explaining that right. Basically, my ear structure wouldn't support a device like that. 

Then they brought up the BAHA (yes!). Immediately, I said it was what I wanted. They said I was the "perfect candidate." Music to my ear :)

So, they told me just a bit about it, I spoke with my doctor who was doing the surgery, and hoped my insurance paid for it. I have a really great insurance plan and they ended up paying for the entire thing (after a grueling couple days of playing the waiting game to find out). The total was $27,500 had I not had insurance, which included the surgery, post op appointments, hearing aid, and audiology appointment, etc. There was a possibility that I would have to pay $500 for set-up with the audiologist, but didn't have to thankfully. I probably would've made payments, I love it that much!

I then scheduled my surgery. They even scheduled my follow-up appointments on the paper they sent me with all the information in regard to the surgery.. 

The surgery was scheduled for April 30, 2012. Basically, another long wait!

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to gather a list of phrases that are funny to a one-eared person... Like, in one ear, and out the other... Hehehe

    ReplyDelete